A LITTLE APPRECIATION FROM EMPLOYERS PLEASE
Finding a job in Christchurch is so frustrating. I've been a stay-home-mum for 10 years now and returned to the workforce after my sons had their first year at school. Despite many job applications and 3 interviews the only work I've found is casual work and it's been 2 years now. Believe me I have and am still trying to find work since the causal work I do have is paid on commission and its not stable enough financially I need to find a job that is.
Today finding work in Christchurch sometimes goes beyond challenging. At the moment there's a job at Pizza Hut and to apply for the job is an online application. I've been through all the questions and MY GOD IT'S NEVER ENDING :( For this application they want you to add 2 forms of ID too, yes online and if you don't your application wont be accepted. What happened to paper applications, you fill them out, attach your CV and any copies of ID they want, either post or drop it into the place of business you're applying for and wait and see what happens. Online job applications can be discouraging and therefore people won't do it like I'm not going to finish what I started too risky putting my own personal ID online so not doing it to protect my own identity, too many hackers out there.
I have applied for Home Carer work which is in the process of going through the necessary checks etc and still waiting to hear back.
Another frustrating thing about job hunting in Christchurch is most jobs applied for need following up, meaning when you don't hear from them you have to contact them just to know for yourself. I come from Blenheim a small town and for every job I applied for I always got a reply without having to follow up. Christchurch being a city with more people doesn't give the same respect to replying job applications and therefore if you don't hear from them say 2 weeks after you've applied you need to get in touch, 2 weeks is longer enough to wait just to know if you at least have a job interview or not. I do know from experience that every job application especially more so if working with children the employer needs to get a police check, contact your references basically research the person who may become an employee, they need to be sure you're the person best suited for the job, so I understand this needs time 'cause it's very important.
One experience I applied for a job at Save Mart and after submitting my job application in person (it wasn't an online application) I waited at least 2 weeks and followed up. I didn't have their contact number it wasn't in the situations vacant ad when applying so I showed up in person just to find out the job had already been taken. I was annoyed that they had my contacts they could've got in touch with me telling me the position had already been filled rather than have me show up in person to be told the job's taken and walk away feeling embarrassed. Courtesy from employers is appreciated when us job hunters take the time and effort just putting our application in, some applications can take up to a week to update before submitting, our time and effort would be appreciated by a simple yes or no answer to save us any embarrassment or frustration not hearing back.
Today finding work in Christchurch sometimes goes beyond challenging. At the moment there's a job at Pizza Hut and to apply for the job is an online application. I've been through all the questions and MY GOD IT'S NEVER ENDING :( For this application they want you to add 2 forms of ID too, yes online and if you don't your application wont be accepted. What happened to paper applications, you fill them out, attach your CV and any copies of ID they want, either post or drop it into the place of business you're applying for and wait and see what happens. Online job applications can be discouraging and therefore people won't do it like I'm not going to finish what I started too risky putting my own personal ID online so not doing it to protect my own identity, too many hackers out there.
I have applied for Home Carer work which is in the process of going through the necessary checks etc and still waiting to hear back.
Another frustrating thing about job hunting in Christchurch is most jobs applied for need following up, meaning when you don't hear from them you have to contact them just to know for yourself. I come from Blenheim a small town and for every job I applied for I always got a reply without having to follow up. Christchurch being a city with more people doesn't give the same respect to replying job applications and therefore if you don't hear from them say 2 weeks after you've applied you need to get in touch, 2 weeks is longer enough to wait just to know if you at least have a job interview or not. I do know from experience that every job application especially more so if working with children the employer needs to get a police check, contact your references basically research the person who may become an employee, they need to be sure you're the person best suited for the job, so I understand this needs time 'cause it's very important.
One experience I applied for a job at Save Mart and after submitting my job application in person (it wasn't an online application) I waited at least 2 weeks and followed up. I didn't have their contact number it wasn't in the situations vacant ad when applying so I showed up in person just to find out the job had already been taken. I was annoyed that they had my contacts they could've got in touch with me telling me the position had already been filled rather than have me show up in person to be told the job's taken and walk away feeling embarrassed. Courtesy from employers is appreciated when us job hunters take the time and effort just putting our application in, some applications can take up to a week to update before submitting, our time and effort would be appreciated by a simple yes or no answer to save us any embarrassment or frustration not hearing back.
Comments
Post a Comment